Developing a mobile game is not a rocket science if you have a basic understanding of atleast one programming language like C++, Java or C# or even basic.
In My opinion all programming languages are very simple to learn given the proper syntax is followed.Every language has different syntax to follow but same functionality in the result. Same if-else conditions, same while loops, same for loops blah blah blah.
Now coming to mobile game development, one must not be worried in the beginning about graphics,type of game to develop or even marketing the game. Its pure learning purpose right??.
Any newbie should start with the basic understanding of the language they wants to learn and follow till the end until they complete the game.
There are two main categories of Mobile Game development methods.
1. TOOL BASED GAME DEVELOPMENT
Tool based game development basically means developing game using readily available game development IDE’s that facilitate the developers to cut short the development timelines by providing features such as drag and drop designing of Mobile Game UI interfaces, easily configurable events such as click,tap etc.
Few such tools include (descriptions as per the website mentions)
- Construct 2 is a powerful ground breaking HTML5 game creator designed specifically for 2D games. It allows anyone to build games — no coding required!
- GameMaker: Studio caters to entry-level novices and seasoned game development professionals equally, allowing them to create cross-platform games in record time and at a fraction of the cost of conventional tools!
- GameSalad Creator is a tool for creating games without needing to write any code. The free version allows you to develop games for the web (as seen above) and for Mac—and even for the iPhone App Store, if you have an iOS Developer account.
- Stencyl isn’t your average game creation software; it’s a gorgeous, intuitive toolset that accelerates your workflow and then gets out of the way. We take care of the essentials, so you can focus on what’s important – making your game yours.
Note: I will not be discussing 3D game development tools and utilities here as its beyond the understanding for a newbie.
2. CODE BASED GAME DEVELOPMENT.
For any successful mobile game, its not only important that the developer understands the complete functionality but also has complete control on each and every unit of the Mobile Game . This is only achievable if the game is developed using a ground up concept, using a game programming language.
For each platform like IOS/Android/WP works on different operating systems, each of them require the programs to be developed with their own compatible languages , I mean to say Programming Languages.
IPhone (IOS) – requires the game/software to be programmed using Objective-C++,Swift,HTML5.
Android (Android) – requires the game / software to be programmed using Java , HTML5.
Windows Phone (Microsoft) – requires the games / softwares to be programmed using C++,C# ,HTML5.
One can observe that HTML5 is common, why not program a Mobile Game using that for all, but the expectation of the end user cannot be met with HTML5 due to various factors, and the factors such as network lag, hardware capability, and screen sensitivity will pose a big hindrance to the game play.
Let’s discuss further more on the types and categories of Mobile Games in our next post. Interested may comment their questions.