I will try to focus on simple tools and simple platforms so that every one can start making games easier. I have tried/used nearly 90% of the tools/sdk’s I have mentioned below to learn game programming. Although am not a pro in this regard, did not want to leave any stone unturned in my effort to develop mobile games.
Note : I am only focussing on Game Development tools, If you are looking for apps only tools/sdk’s Just plain SDK for the mobile are enough.
Any game works on simple 4 step logic
I Classify the tools/sdk’s as Non Programming and Programming tools.
- Non Programming Tools : These tools do not need lot of time to learn, they are just drag and drop image, add event, add movement, assign animation, and you are done making a game.
1. Scirra Construct 2 : This software (Licenseable, but also available Free with limitations). One can develop easy games for android,Windows Phone,Blackberry,Chrome etc using this tool, but the generated game will be a html/js game.
2. Gamesalad : This software (Licenseable, but also available Free with limitations).One can develop games for iphone in free edition, but needs license for Android/Windows game generation.
3. Stencyl : This software (Licenseable, but also available Free with limitations)., one can develop games for web only in free edition, but needs license for mobile game generation.
4. GameMaker: This software (Licenseable, but also available Free with limitations)., one can develop games for web only in free edition, but needs license for mobile game generation.
- Programming Tools : These tools need programming knowledge and are really worth learning If you plan to start developing games with much passion.
1. Java SDK’s (Andendine,libGdx,WiEngine): These frameworks provide lot of built in features to develop android games.
2. Adobe AIR /Actionscript : AIR framework /Actionscript can also be used if You are well aquainted with flash.
3. Corona SDK: A Lua based framework specially for android/iphone game development.
4. Gideros : A Lua based framework with a IDE for android/iphone game development.
5. Cocos2D : Lot of games in Iphone market are developed using this framework and is the best choice of all game developers worldwide for IPhone games.
7. XNA/C++: WIndows Phone specific SDK for developing WIndows Phone Only games.
8. Others :
c. Moscrif SDK (Comes with IDE)
Mobile Games could be developed using various technologies and on various platforms. Every platform has a seperate market to the devices they support. SO any game/app developed can be run on the respective platform.